in turin since 2009
The Società di Danza Torinese is a local branch of the National Federation “Società di Danza” and promotes activities, workshops, dances and meetings in the Turin area to spread nineteenth-century social values through dance.
A particularly prominent event is the “Grand Ball of the Risorgimento” which is proposed in June in the National Museum of the Italian Risorgimento, one of the most important museums linked to national history in Italy and Europe.
Our dance system consists of group dances and couple dances; Quadrilles and Contraddances belong to the first set, Waltz, Polke, Mazurke, Galop and dances derived from them belong to the second. The two sets are not rigidly separated, but live interrelated and form the choreographic universe of our traditional European dance society system.
The dances of our system are conceived as a small social and artistic project. The dance activity that we practice falls within the field of social or company dance. This is a different practice from that which falls within the so-called historical dance. Historical dance is the product of the research of the “Reconstructors” of ancient dances. These scholars, using different methods of study, through comparative analyzes, reconstruct single dances belonging to specific historical moments. The nineteenth-century traditional dance of society, that is the system that we practice, is a different experience. most important national teams in Italy and Europe.
Our is a synthesy of what hundreds of dance teachers produced in the 800s. From diversity we have come to homogeneity. On the dozens and dozens of variations of a dance, we have made a synthesis and produced a unique sample. From the great variety in the description of steps and figures we have extracted all the basic elements and placed them at the foundation of a unique “language” on which to base the further development of the system. In our idea of social dance, the analysis of 19th century manuals leads to the synthesis that establishes precise, clear and shared rules, so that a reality of the past can return to being a living dance, reproducible and developable in the future. To this end, the Società di Danza organizes Grand Balls and costume shows, publishes books on the study of dance and organizes courses in Italy and abroad in order to spread its system.
The Società di Danza is a group affiliated with the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society of Edinburgh.
The Federation of Società di Danza aims to coordinate the national and international activities of the Società di Danza Associations.
The Circolo Torinese organizes dance workshops and events in the area for the promotion and dissemination of nineteenth-century traditional dances.
the Waltz to
enchant heart and soul
from Gran Ballo del risorgimento
- Gran Balls,
in Nineteenth Century costumes in historic squares and buildings in Italian and European towns.
- Summer School (since 1993)
- Easter School (since 1992)
- Seminars of Historical Dance, from XV to XIX century (since 1994)
- Training school for Teachers in 19th century social dance (since 1993)
- International activities of 19th century dance and Scottish Country Dance
- International schools of 19th century dance
- Project Grand Ball Risorgimentale
- Project New Year Grand Ball
- Gran Ballo dell’Unione Europea (European Grand Ball)
- International congress (2000, 1999)
- Publication of books on dance
- Cinema e television
- A librarian fund created in the library of the Dipartimento di Musica e Spettacolo dell’ Università degli Studi di Bologna,
with documents and materials coming from different countries on social dances in the Nineteenth Century .
- Events and projects in collaboration with several Universities, Museums, Cultural Institutions and local Administrations in various Italian and European cities.
- The project “The dance and the city” in Bologna from 1996 to 2000.
- 18th Century Dance Program – Stagione di Danza del Settecento
Società di Danza continued, developed and expanded these actvities of study, research, training, practice and dissemination of 19th century social dance of European tradition, and moreover:
developed national and international projects, see some international activities and past international activities
traditional national schools: annual Easter School of 19th Century Social Dance , with Società di Danza and host R.S.C.D.S. teachers, and the annual Summer School of Social Dance of European Tradition
realized several training activities (courses, workshops and seminars),
Società di Danza Teachers’ Training School, and many events in Italy and Europe
- Grand Ball Risorgimentali
developed the project Grand Ball Risorgimentali
aimed at the celebration of Unification of Italy and founding values of Risorgimento
- New Year Grand Ball
developed the project New Year Grand Ball
aimed at the New Year’s celebrations
- Grand Balls
realized the project ‘Grand Balls of the European Union‘,
aimed at the celebration of the common historical and cultural identity of European countries’
produced and realized the film ‘An Idea of Dance’ (‘Un’Idea di Danza’)
to present the research and diffusion work, the ideas and motivation, the dances and a
video of the Nineteenth Century Grand Ball
(Film with subtitles in English, French, Russian and Chinese)
- Dance for students and young
developed projects of training and dissemination of the culture of 19th century dance
aimed at youngs and at students of secondary schools
- Video, seminars, books, and presentations of 19th Century dress
- Books, including ‘Dance History in 19th Century’ (‘Storia della Danza nell’800’) (by F. Mòllica),
a detailed 19th Century Dance Manual (by F. Mòllica),
the two ‘Dance Book’ for 19th Century dance and for Scottish Country dance,
and a collection of original dance documents reproduction.
- National Meeting, focused on the study of historical dance with special reference to 19th Century dance.
Theoretical-practical stages, and some related topics such as 19th Century ball dress history and etiquette.
It is held every year since 2013.